I needed to brighten up my blog projects due to the gloomy weather we've been experiencing. Even better this wicker purse/clutch was made from a Dollar Tree placemat and a couple of my favorite Dritz products. This will be a great purse to bring with me on my upcoming Spring Break trip. Get the details below and make your own.
- Placemat (round from Dollar Tree)
- Double-Cap Rivet Tool Kit
- Double-Cap Rivets
- Magnetic Snap or Sew-On Snaps
- pom pom trim
- Clips (I used whatever I had around the house)
- optional chain strap
- optional tassle
- Fold in the sides and then fold the bottom flap up. Make sure everything is visually even and when you close the top it is in a good position.
- Now use a set of clips to keep the folds down for a bit (5-10 min.)
- After the fold lines are somewhat set use the Dritz Double Cap Rivet Tool Kit and Double-Cap Rivets. Follow the instructions here. You will want to add the rivets to the bottom corners first and the top portion. I didn't use the Punching tool, I was able to push the rivet cap and rivet post through the woven basket material and secure them before clamping down with the Rivet Tools and Hammer.
- If you don't have the rivet tools you can just sew along the side edges from bottom to top. Go slowly over the bulky folded parts.
- Next I sewed the Sew-On Snaps on with a needle and thread. I most likely will go back and add the Magnetic Snaps though as I think those are more secure than my hand sewing.
- For the pom pom trim I just used my hot glue gun to secure the trim on the wrong side so the little pom poms hung down the front.
- Add the clamps/clips again or place a heavy set of books on top for a couple of hours and it's good to go!
- For the strap I just added a chain with small swivel hook and clamped them onto the sides. You can also add eyelets onto the side corners there to secure them.